Sunday 23 June 2013

Painting Furniture White - The Vintage Dresser

There's no doubt about it, one of the most popular make-overs for old furniture is to paint it white. And it's easy to see why it is so popular- white is fresh but elegant and fits with nearly every decor style, whether that be retro (my personal favourite), shabby chic, French Provincial, vintage, farmhouse, coastal.... you get the idea.

Here's my latest white makeover. It is simply gorgeous. It's amazing how fresh an old piece can look with a fresh coat of paint.

I must admit, I found the prospect of this project quite daunting- but was pleasantly surprised. Even though there's a lot of detail in the woodwork, it sanded reasonably easily due to the age of the piece. And the smooth surface made painting easy too- time consuming due to the size of the piece, but not too challenging.
 
I used my trusty British Paints 4 in 1 Primer and British Paints Enamel White in Semi Gloss (only a tiny amount of shine- just enough to look fresh) 
 
Here are some before and after pics to compare:
 
 

I love this dresser for the little details too- in the top drawers of the dresser I found this gorgeous drawer lining paper. Pink paper with flowers and butterflies- you can't get much more shabby chic than that!
And check out the handles- so intricate and detailed, with just the right amount of ageing.
Also, the detail in the legs and bars that hold the mirror just make this piece so special.
Yep, I love it and could go on and on!

Do you have any pieces that you would like to paint white? Please share your own projects!

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow it's beautiful! I wish I had a home to put it in, it'd be just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I promise I'll do you a custom when you get a new home.... or a little more space in your current home!

    ReplyDelete